Thursday, October 31, 2013

A hauntingly good re-connection with Figs.

As most days go I work early and come home late-- but today I was running amuck in the real world by 3pm. I therefore decided to enjoy this delightfully balmy fall day and walk the 5 miles home from work.
On this merry adventure, I came across one the many reasons I love Portland. 

These kind people put a sign by their fig tree! And as my mind is want to do when food is involved, I began to brainstorm what to do with these lovely figs.
As pastry & sweets are my love, I remembered the pumpkin ice cream nestled in my freezer as well as the spiced red wine open from last night. Figs in a red wine reduction over pumpkin ice cream. Que all kinds of gooey, happy, borderline inappropriate noises.

Now here's what you'll need:
1 pt. Pumpkin ice cream ( I recommend Double Rainbow)
4 ripe figs
1 cup of spiced red wine OR 1 cup sweet red wine, a cheese cloth bundle with a couple cinnamon sticks, fresh nutmeg and 2 -1/2 inch slices of orange peel wrapped inside.
Oh and a pinch of salt!


Wash, peel and slice your figs.
Add wine to a deep sauté pan, warm on high and slowly add figs (and goody bag if needed). 
Bring to a boil.


Reduce to a simmer.
Macerate the figs gently then leave them alone.
Cook on low until wine is gone and figs are sizzling. Approximately 10 minutes. 
Break the figs up a little more add a tablespoon more wine if the pan is super dry. 
Cook until they are to your desired sticky/broken down texture.


Scoop ice cream. Add figs. Pour a glass of wine and enjoy with utter, grownup, Halloween delight!
Happy Eating!
C


No comments:

Post a Comment