Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hooray!!!!!!

Silly as it may sound "I survived!" ....you're probably wondering, "what could possibly be so horrific?" worry no longer I will gladly regale you with a brief synopsis of the last 3 weeks of school. Unfortunately I have no amazing photos to accompany this post as there was no time. I have been putting in 15 hour days Monday through Friday in an attempt to be the over achiever I strive to be by taking 3 classes.
Instead of the usual, 1 - 5 hour class, I was scheduled for 1- 2.5 hour class....well this was just riddiculous in my opinion and I had.

What I was going to do with all that extra time???

I found something to do! I found 2 more classes that I needed that were offered in the afternoon! great right? Well in theory the plan was genius because I finished 3 weeks sooner, putting my extern start date at July 6 instead of July 23. It's a good thing I was in math because apparently things weren't adding up to 15 hour days to me....once it did I thought it's only 3 weeks right?

And I thank god for that! I honestly don't know if I could have done it another week without some sort of breakdown. Said breakdown was narrowly avoided earlier today but only a short spritz of waterworks and I was composed and refocused... I amaze myself sometimes just what I'm capable of and strive for so much more--I just hope I can get there.

I have my resume in to the St. Regis Hotel in Aspen, Colorado in the hopes that they will find me amazing and want me to come work for them. I am putting out calls to The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs and am also looking into one of the local gluten free bakeries here in Portland. Also in case anyone didn't know-- I went completely gluten free about 3 weeks ago. I was diagnosed in July with Hashimoto's disease and have been reading numerous books & articles about the subject since.

Many of them indicate that people who have removed gluten from their diets have had great success with alleviating their symptoms or eliminating them completely and about a month ago my symptoms felt completely out of control. My mental acuity and focus were frustrating me completely as well as being exhausted.

So when Spring break came I decided after that, No More Gluten for this girl. I have only had one bad slip up-- one of my co workers brought calamari that they'd made in class into the library and I didn't think twice about snapping it up and into my mouth... it was at that moment that I realized--it's breaded with panko--"shit!" (pardon the language but that's pretty much exactly what I said...) Oh world of breaded treats you elude me forever...or until I can come up with a yummy gluten free alternative.

There are lots of things that I haven't eaten in weeks simply because convenience foods are much harder to come by, though I have been reading that Trader Joe's has quite a few gluten free items and there is one 3 blocks from my house. So as soon as pay day gets here I'll be heading there to sample some things. Also since my schedule is returning to normal I plan to spend lots of lab time in the kitchen's working on my regular baking but I really want to work on some gluten free goodies too :) I've been craving chocolate chip cookies and am at a complete loss....Did I mention I've lost like 9 lbs in 3 weeks.....slightly crazy but I'm happy to say that I lost the extra 25 pounds I was carrying around when I moved here! yay! my pants fit again! When I had to break down and buy new pants it was slightly depressing but that's totally off subject now...

So that's all for now, my days will be returning to normal on Monday, meaning I'll be home by 4:30 instead of 8:30 Monday, Wednesday & Friday & by 6:30 on Tuesday & Thursday-- I never thought I'd miss that schedule but "baby I missed you" :)

until next time- happy eating & if you're having bread...eat some for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment